The flu is serious. It disrupts lives, causing children and adults to miss out on daily activities and events, and can result in hospitalization and even death.
Families Fighting Flu’s ongoing national public education campaign since 2013, Stay in the Game™, reminds everyone – children, moms, dads, grandparents, adults, healthcare providers, teachers, and community members – about the importance of getting an annual flu vaccination so you can stay healthy and keep doing the things you love!
Did You Know…?
- On average in the U.S., more than 38 million days of school1 and 5 million sporting events are missed EACH YEAR due to the flu!`2
- CDC estimates that since 2010, flu-related hospitalizations among children younger than 5 years old have ranged from 7,000 to 26,000 in the United States in each year.3
- In the U.S., the flu causes more deaths than all other vaccine-preventable diseases combined. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), 12,000 - 61,000 Americans lose their lives to flu every year,4 including over 100 children.5
- The annual economic burden of flu in the U.S. is $87 billion!6
The flu vaccine is the safest and most effective way to protect yourself, your family and those around you from the flu. Everyone six months of age and older should get vaccinated every year to Stay in the Game™!
- Postcard: Emergency warning signs of flu in children
- Community poster
- Doctor’s office poster
- School poster
- School worksheets: Grades K-2, 3-5, and 6-8
- "Do You Know the Flu?" Infographic
- "Get to Know the Flu Vaccine" Infographic
Get your flu vaccine today to Stay in the Game™!
Page last reviewed: May 2022.